Go Karting at Whistling Morans
Hello Friends, I hope you are doing well. I went Go Karting at Whistling Morans over the weekend and here is everything you need to know before partaking in this adventure activity.
Getting to Whistling Morans
Whistling Morans is located in Athi River. As it is off the road, factor that in as you schedule your time. Another thing to note is that part of the road leading to the place is murram and rocky, a 2×2 car can make it however, I do not think it would be advisable to use one during the rainy season. It would be prudent to ask about the state of the roads before heading out. Use Google Maps or contact their team to give you directions, I got terribly lost on my way there and would not wish that frustration upon anyone.
On arrival, you first pay and then get get dressed up.
You can either pay to race for 10, 20 or 30 minutes and for children between 6-11 years, either 15 or 30 minutes. I paid to race for 10 minutes. After that you head to the pit bay and are ready to go. Upon getting into the racing kart, the Whistling Morans team instructs you on how to steer the kart. Thankfully, the karts are not complicated so anyone can drive them, regardless of whether or not they are drivers. The most important thing is to follow the instructions and keep your eyes on the track.
Driving the kart was exhilarating and racing elevated the whole experience. What makes it so thrilling is that the kart is low and it feels almost as if you are seated on the ground so when you drive faster, there is the risk of falling off- at least that was my experience. I absolutely enjoyed it. Whistling Morans have one of the longest tracks in the continent and I loved that it felt as though was rediscovering the tracks with every round. To top that, we were racing at sunset and I absolutely love watching sunsets.
Whistling Morans Rates
|Cadet (6-11yrs)||Cadet (6-11yrs)||Commercial||Commercial||Commercial||Professional|
|15 Minutes||30 Minutes||10 Minutes||20 Minutes||30 Minutes||9am to 6 pm|
|Kshs 1500 per session||Kshs 2500 per session||Kshs 1500 per session||Kshs 2500 per session||Kshs 4000 per session||Kshs 5000 per session|
Things to Note about Go Karting at Whistling Morans
- Rates for all groups other than Professionals are inclusive of the Racing Kart, Safety Gear, Equipment, Tools and Fuel. Professional drivers bring their own resources.
- You can either book your trip prior or show up. If you choose to walk in without booking, do bear in mind in the fact that there may be other groups present so you may lack the freedom to choose your preferred time slot. Also consider the fact that weekends and public holidays are busier than week days.
- Whistling Morans have activities other than go karting. They offer swimming, cycling, skating, skateboarding, and rollerblading.
- There is a restaurant and a pool area separate from the track area as well as a bar area on the track site. You can have some refreshments as you watch the races. It is a good spot to spectate and catch the sunset and is open till midnight.
- Safety is paramount and whilst the team are on stand by in case of any incidents, it is best to be careful so as to avoid any accidents. You can get hurt easily if you do not. I am of the opinion that the team could have done a better job training before starting the karts. They should at least have an area where they train people particularly children and non-drivers as it is easier for them to be afraid or confused and thus get into accidents.
- If you love sunsets, schedule your trip or book a slot from 6 pm.
- Per usual, have fun. Channel your inner Lewis Hamilton and indulge in the experience. I highly recommend doing this activity with a group whether friends and/or family so that you can race. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone.
- Whistling Morans occasionally host competitions and events, stay in the know by checking out their Instagram page.
Go Karting in Kenya
It is a great starting point for people interested in motor sports. You can do it professionally as a career, as a sport or as a hobby. It is a fantastic way to unwind and I highly recommend go karting. I enjoyed my experience and cannot wait to go back.
Go Karting is a fun adventure activity that you should try if you have not yet had the chance to. Try it over a weekend and/or to celebrate a milestone or event. It is an experience you live to remember.
Comment down below and let me know who you would take with you.
Remember to always seek discomfort and until next time, Bye!