Road trip Essentials: Everything you Need for the Perfect Road trip
Nothing can compare to a good road trip, being outdoors, singing along to your favourite songs, and having the freedom to get to your destination at your own pace. Now more than ever, road trips are more ideal. You can travel in a group and you can take COVID precautions as best as you see fit. Road trips also open you up to local destinations and if you have the time, they can open you up to discovering destinations off the beaten track. If you are looking to go on a road trip, here are some getaway ideas. Enough talk, here are some essential items that you need before going on your road trip.
Road Trip Essentials
Self-driving is ideal because of the convenience and comfort however you can always use public transport. Do not limit yourself to owning a vehicle, you can hire a car (and a driver) for a set number of days or hours and still have an amazing experience.
If you are self-driving, you will need:
- Extra tyre and a Puncture changing kit
- Valid Driving License- physical and/or digital
- Valid car insurance
- Make sure your car is serviced, has a good Battery, and has enough Engine Coolant, Oil and that the engine is okay.
- Not essential but will elevate your experience- Air-conditioning and a working Car radio
- Music/ entertainment of choice- create/download your playlist
- Book (physical or digital)
- Board games
- Deck of cards
- Chargers and Power bank
- Portable Speaker
- Drinking Water
- Cooler Box (optional)
- Travel pillow
- Wipes, sanitizer, mask
- Bug spray
If your accommodation of choice is self-catering/camping, you need to carry extras in addition to the things listed above. Find out if your accommodation has basic kitchen supplies, this will let you know whether to carry utensils and a cooker in addition to groceries and drinks.
- A portable Gas Cooker/ Meko
- Firewood for the cold nights
- Utensils and Cooking supplies-sufuria, mwiko, oil, spices, groceries
- Drinking water
- Sleeping bag/tent
- Snacks and drinks
Things to Note:
- Take your time but aim to get to your destination before night falls especially if travelling to a new destination that you are not familiar with.
- Stop for breaks and pace yourself. If driving for long distances, swap drivers.
- Ask for your accommodation/host’s contacts before your trip and let them know you are on the way.
- Get directions beforehand from your host, save maps for offline use on Google Maps because cell reception may be poor.
- Save emergency contacts eg AA Kenya, your mechanic, police, hospital, etc.
- Have Cash in case a need arises and MPesa is down.
- Top up fuel along the way and carry extra especially if going to remote areas
- Things may not always go as planned. your car may get stuck, you may puncture your tyres, you may run out of fuel, etc. The most important thing is to find a nearby service station or if in the middle of nowhere, contact your Host.
- Have fun and enjoy the ride! Stop for pictures and document the journey.
I know that packing can be a hassle but here are some packing tips to help ease the process so that you don’t leave anything behind and you spend more time looking forward to your road trip.
Let me know in the comments below which tips you’ll use to prepare for your next road-trip.
Share these tips with a fellow traveller 🙂
Subscribe to my YouTube channel and catch up on the latest vlog here.
Until next time, Bye!