Staying at the Charming WindyMills Cottage
Imagine this: You are staying at a cute off-grid cottage, where you get to wake up to breathtaking views of the Ngong Hills. The best part is, that could be you!
Seated at the foot of the mighty Ngong Hills is WindyMills Cottage, a quaint container home that is perfect for a staycation, away from busy Nairobi. If you are looking for an affordable Airbnb not too far from Nairobi, this place is it.
Here is a visual tour of the cottage.
Everything you need to know about WindyMills Cottage
The cottage is two bedroomed, with a spectacular view of the Hills and the Windmill Farm. It can host up to four people, making it perfect for small groups and families.
WindyMills Cottage is about an hour and thirty minutes away from Nairobi CBD and approximately 15 kilometres from Ngong town. The road is tarmac and it is generally smooth up until the last 6 km where you get on a murram road. A 2WD with good ground clearance will make it but a 4WD is ideal during the rainy seasons. As you make your way to the cottage, you might get lucky and see a family of giraffes grazing gracefully.
Decor and Ambience
The home is bright and airy with pops of colour all around.
There is art around the entire compound, with eclectic pieces that are undeniably Kenyan. You will notice a lot of repurposed and reused items and minimal use of plastic, which make the home eco-friendly. The hosts are big on sustainability and conscious living. You can tell that the owners are artsy petrolheads who have put a lot of love into making WindyMills Cottage not only comfortable but also aesthetically pleasing.
Living Room and Lounge
I stayed in the ‘yellow room’, which faces the Hills and I must say that the bed was very comfortable.
Evenings and nights are very chilly. The shawls and hot water bottles provided by the hosts are a much-appreciated touch.
The cottage is self-catering and it comes complete with everything you need to enjoy your stay. The kitchen is fully equipped with utensils, you only need to bring your groceries, cooking oil and spices.
There is no fridge but there is a Charcoal cooler right outside the kitchen which keeps your food fresh and drinks cool.
The compound also has some fun entertaining spaces; a wooden table, perfect for al fresco dining and playing board games, a swing set, and plenty of outdoor seating where you can relax and take in the view. On sunny days, fire up the grill and enjoy a barbecue.
WindyMills Cottage is on a farm. It has a small vegetable garden and the hosts keep chicken.
The Cottage is $100 per night for the entire house. The hosts have an offer running through February, where you pay $80 per night. Please note that the minimum stay is two nights.
Things to note about WindyMills Cottage
- The price indicated does not include service charges, meals, and transport.
- The hosts do offer essentials such as beddings, towels, soap, and kitchen essentials such as utensils, cooking pots, salt, and a gas cooker. Pack personal items, food, and drinks.
- There is no WiFi at the property. Take the moment to enjoy the outdoors, let your hair down, relax and recharge.
- The cottage runs on solar energy and the hosts recommend only bringing necessary electonics such as phones and laptops otherwise you might end up in the dark.
- The days can get very hot and evenings chilly. Make sure you pack accordingly. A warm jacket, beanie and socks will do. When I visited, it rained hailstones in the afternoon but it was bright and sunny the following morning.
- The nights are extremely windy and for the light sleepers, this could keep you up. What helped me was imagining that the wind was soothing white noise.
- When visiting the cottage and holiday rentals generally, be mindful and respect the space. Clean up after yourselves and do not litter. Remember that it is someone’s home after all.
- Unplug and relax.
- Go on an evening walk or morning run around the area.
- Hike up Ngong Hills.
- Conquer your fears and zipline at Kisames Giraffe Camp, which is about five minutes away from the property.
I really enjoyed my experience at the WindyMills Cottage and I highly recommend it for a chill weekend getaway. For small groups looking for a comfortable and affordable Airbnb in Kajiado county, this is the perfect place.
Let them know that Ivy sent you. For more information contact the host at 0739446510 and check out their Instagram page.
Let me know in the comments below what you think about WindyMills and what your favourite thing about the property is.
*This post is a collaboration between WindyMills Cottage and myself however, all opinions voiced are my own*
Stay tuned for the next post and if you can not wait, here are some other getaway ideas.
Share this post with a fellow traveller 🙂
Until next time, Bye!